I’m a Detroit native who has taught in Texas, California, the Dominican Republic, and Togo. Aside from my work in education as a professional tutor, administrator, and consultant, I’m also passionate about supporting educators, growing the local edtech community (Edvents and EdCamp HTown), increasing the diversity of the startup world (EdSpeakers), and helping to connect Houstonians with amazing events happening around the city (Merlex Picks).
Some other organizations, initiatives, and projects I’m involved with:
- MindRemind: new mindfulness startup that launched late 2016. I’m now working on modifying and improving the service!
- Houston2036: I’m one of the organizers and created the website! We’re advancing an agenda of equitable opportunity for Houstonians.
- ONE Houston: we’re a social justice organization examining alternative education in Houston and ways we can better support local students.
- Fresh Arts: as a member of the Programming Committee, I’m a representative for the local arts community.
- I Don’t Do Clubs: I’m a Houston social influencer so basically I just post events like I do here.
- Afrofuturism Book Club: we meet monthly to discuss speculative fiction that centers black people in imaginings of the world.
- #TXed: moderator for a weekly Twitter chat that brings educators from all over to discuss important education issues. Join us Wednesdays at 8:30pm CDT!
- Houston Area/Texas Alliance of Black School Educators: spreading awareness of the issues and successes encountered by black students and educators who serve them. I’m helping organize the February conference. I also manage the Houston website!
- Restorative Justice Collaborative of Houston: working to end retributive justice in our schools and communities. Planning our next annual conference for April 2017!
- #EduMatch: Snapshot of Education 2016: I’m excited to have been a reviewer for this collaborative e-book that has contributors from all over the world!
- Nigerian American Multicutural Council – as a member of the Education and Mentorship Committee I help organize events throughout the year.
- #HouEdTech: a community of educators and entrepreneurs working to catalyze education technology in Houston.
- Engineering, Science, and Math Institute at The Kinkaid School: assistant director of a summer STEAM program for public high school students. Forty years and counting!
Want to keep up with my various activities? Just sign up for my newsletter to keep up with my sporadic blog posts. Do you have questions about edtech, blended learning, or just want to chat about music or science fiction? Send me a message!