I’ve shared a lot of music from artists around the world but I’m also an avid supporter of local musicians. Here are just a few of the players making Houston a great place for music, and most of them have shows coming up!
1. The HUE – Houston’s own supergroup created from the combination of rap group H.I.S.D. and synth R&B group Radio Galaxy. If you didn’t make their show this past weekend this video will give you an idea of what you missed. Their album Aurora came out earlier this year.
2. Rosewood Thievz – this group of singers has a new project coming out soon called 3 For The Tre. The EP release party should be a good time at Walter’s Downtown on September 9. They were also collaborators on the expansive Juneteenth project Two & 1/2 Years.
3. Marium Echo and The Analog Village – everyone’s life is better after listening to Marium sing. She’s at Alley Kat for free on Sundays at 8 p.m. so you have no excuse to miss out. I just need more quality videos of her performing.
4. Genesis Blu – this positive rapper is incredibly supportive of everyone. You can usually find her at Nightingale Room on Wednesday hosting their live music night on behalf of her label Roologic but she’s in recovery from a sports injury so keep her in your thoughts.
5. Michele Thibeaux – this singer has been everywhere throughout the city since her release of The Quiet Picture Show earlier this year. If you’ve been reading my blog you’ve seen her name multiple times. She’ll be opening for Ingrid tomorrow at the House of Blues.
Again, not an exhaustive list in the slightest but hopefully a taste of what Houston’s music scene has to offer.